Adco-Loperamide Syrup 50ml
Loperamide is a medicine that can help if you have acute diarrhoea. Acute diarrhoea in adults starts suddenly and in most cases eases within a few days. The main treatment is to have lots to drink to prevent dehydration. The most common cause of acute diarrhoea is an infection. Many bacteria, viruses, and other germs can cause diarrhoea. In most cases the diarrhoea settles as your body's immune system clears the infection. Antidiarrhoeal medicines like loperamide may not be necessary; however, they can be helpful if you wish to reduce the number of trips that you need to make to the toilet. Most people only need to take loperamide for a day or so.
Loperamide works by slowing down the activity of your bowel. This reduces the speed at which the contents pass through, and so food remains in your intestines for longer. This allows more water to be absorbed back into your body and results in firmer stools that are passed less often.
Because loperamide regulates the passage of food through the digestive system, it can also help people with diarrhoea associated with irritable bowel syndrome, and people who need help to regulate their bowel activity following surgery on the intestines.
You can buy loperamide from retail outlets or get it on prescription from your doctor; however, it is not suitable for children under the age of 12 years unless it has been prescribed by a doctor.
Before taking loperamide
To make sure this is the right treatment for you, before you start taking loperamide it is important that you speak with your doctor or pharmacist:
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you have liver problems.
- If you have a long-term bowel condition such as ulcerative colitis.
- If you are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, as well as herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine.
How to take loperamide
- Before you start the treatment, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet from inside the pack. It will give you more information about loperamide and will provide you with a full list of the side-effects which you may experience from taking it.
- Take loperamide exactly as your doctor tells you to, or as directed on the label. The usual dose for acute diarrhoea in an adult is 4 mg (two tablets/capsules) taken straightaway, followed by 2 mg (one tablet/capsule) after each time you go to the toilet with diarrhoea. This usually means taking three or four tablets/capsules a day. Never take more than eight tablets/capsules a day. If your symptoms continue for more than 48 hours, you should speak with a doctor if you have not already done so. Stop taking loperamide as soon as your symptoms settle down.
- Most loperamide capsules and tablets are best swallowed with a drink of water. However, if you have been given a brand called Imodium® Instants, these are specially designed to dissolve in your mouth - place the tablet on your tongue and allow it to dissolve there before you swallow.
- Loperamide should only be taken by a child under 12 years of age on the advice of a doctor. If your child has been prescribed loperamide liquid medicine, check the label on the bottle carefully to make sure you know what dose to give.
- If you forget to take a dose, do not worry, just take a dose after the next time you go to the toilet with diarrhoea. Do not take two doses together to make up for a missed dose.
Getting the most from your treatment
- It is important that you have lots to drink to prevent you from becoming dehydrated. Drinking plain water is ideal, but juice and/or soup are also suitable. Try to avoid drinks that contain a lot of sugar, such as cola or pop, as they can sometimes make diarrhoea worse.
- Oral rehydration salts can be taken to help prevent dehydration and replace lost salts. These are especially recommended for children and for people who are frail or who have underlying health problems. You can buy these from a pharmacy.
- Eat small, light meals as soon as you are able. Plain foods such as bread and rice are good foods to try eating first.
- If your symptoms continue for more than 48 hours, speak with a doctor or pharmacist for advice if you have not already done so. If loperamide has been prescribed by your doctor and your diarrhoea has not settled after five days, you should return to your doctor for further advice.
- If your symptoms get worse, or if you develop a high temperature, or if you pass blood in the diarrhoea, you should consult a doctor for advice as soon as possible.
Can loperamide cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. The table below contains some of the most common ones associated with loperamide. You will find a full list in the manufacturer's information leaflet supplied with your medicine. The unwanted effects often improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following continue or become troublesome.
Clear red syrup with a fruity raspberry flavour.
Amber glass bottles containing 50 mL and 500 mL of syrup.
Store below 25°C in well closed containers. Keep out of reach of children.
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.